Sure we all like manicures to make our hands look pretty as well as scented hand lotions to keep our hands moist and looking young. Don’t you just love it when the manicurist gives you hand massage? We use our hands to do so many things. Our hands are very important, but have you thought about keeping your hands in shape?
Here are a few exercises that I include to keep my hands in shape.
1. While sitting rest your hands on a table. Grip a small soft ball and squeeze it using all your fingers. Hold the each squeeze for a count of 3-5 and release. Repeat a few times and then switch hands.
2. Place one hand on a table, palms down and fingers spread wide. Keeping fingers open, “glue” the first and second fingers together, then the third and fourth fingers. The goal is to have a gap or space in the middle. Return to the start and repeat a 5 times. Before switching to the other hand, try and “glue” the second and third fingers together, while keeping some space between the first and fourth fingers. Repeat 5 times and switch hands.
3. Rest your forearms on a table, palms down. Try lifting each finger and thumb off (one at a time) the table, while keeping the other fingers down.
4. Hold a sheet of paper between two fingers, keeping them straight. With the opposite hand try pulling the paper out, but using the strength of your fingers resist the action. Repeat by placing the paper between all the fingers and then switch.
5. Touch your thumb to each finger tip. Repeat 10 times and switch. This hand routine will help to keep the muscles in our hands strong and supple as well as improving our grip. Take care of your hands. What are your favorite hand exercises?
A Pilates routine to do : Kristi Yamaguchi and Pilates Stay warm.