This next post is a little different from my usual ones however, I think it is imperative to share.
I am sure we all know someone that has had a stroke and depending on the severity of it is either going through therapy/rehab or has had therapy/rehab in the past. Below are a few signs to note if some one is having a stroke and if so seek medical attention immediately. This is what I remember from my CPR and First Aid course.
- Ask the person to smile. Is one side of their face drooping?
- Ask the person to raise their arms. Does one arm start to lower?
- Ask the person to repeat a very simple phrase. Is their speech slurred?
- Is there numbness or weakness on one side of the body.
- Is he or she confused or having a difficult time understanding?
- Is he or she having a sudden painful headache?
- Is it difficult to walk?
- Is the person feeling dizzy, or is there a loss of balance?
For more information look to The National Stroke Association website.